Friday, August 8, 2008

The Sumo Wrestler Diet



I frequently receive calls and emails from frustrated women trying to lose weight. My years in the trenches has helped me to easily spot dietary mistakes and given me an arsenal of tricks to get someone Red Carpet Ready.
One of the most common mistakes I see, men and women alike, is skipping meals. The excuses may vary:

“I’m not hungry in the morning.”
“I forgot to eat.” (I personally have never understood this one)
“There was no food in the house.”
“I don’t have time.”

Most of these are just the result of poor planning or lack of strategy. I address all of these in my book Red Carpet Ready.

Sometimes though, a person is trying to use this as a method of weight loss and is frustrated that it’s not working. Regardless of the reason, skipping breakfast and/or lunch usually results in over eating or making poor choices at dinner. After all, you’re now starving!

This strategy of skipping breakfast and lunch and then eating a healthy (but big) dinner is the same strategy used by Sumo Wrestlers. These powerful athletes have staggering proportions. Their weight is their asset and they often weigh over 500 lbs! Like most professional athletes they take their diet and training very seriously.

Sumo Wrestlers purposely starve themselves all day and then have an evening meal that includes protein, vegetables and rice, immediately followed by sleep. This is their secret weight gaining technique and it has been used successfully for hundreds of years. By first starving the body, they send it into fat-storing mode. This is your bodys weapon to protect it from famine.

By starving the body of fuel, it holds onto every calorie available as fat to be used as energy for the next starving period. Sleeping directly following the evening meal allows the body to hold on even tighter to these calories.

Are you on the Sumo Wrestler diet? Was this your intention? Do you want to look like a Sumo Wrestler? or do you want to look Red Carpet Ready?

To lose stubborn body fat, you must do five things consistently:

  1. EAT- Preferably 5-6x per day.

  2. AVOID- Refined carbs and overly processed food.

  3. Drink 64-100 oz of water everyday.

  4. Do 3 full body circuit style strength training sessions as described in Red Carpet Ready

  5. Get 7-8 hours of sleep- Adequate sleep is often the missing equation in a fat loss plan. This really is that important.


Do these 5 things consistently and you will be on your way to feeling Red Carpet Ready!

Love,
Val

5 comments:

ronnwaters said...

You said you wouldn't use my picture!

Beth said...

And this is my biggest obstacle. My appetite is nonexistent, I think from all of the damage I did when I was young and stupid and all kinds of disordered in my eating.

I am trying to get back to eating frequently and adequate protein.

BTW, the ValSlides totally rock my world. Love them!

Elton said...

I think Sumo players should be eat more acomplia diet pills :))

Anonymous said...

Good morning!!! My name is Hitzu kamagra, I'm Japanese, Did you know that There are six Grand Sumo tournaments??? you should visit one , the experience is wonderful!!22dd

Jason Smith said...

Hello,
This is an amazing information found here... Keep posting such an awesome blog post. Thanks for the share....

Regards,
Jason Smith, NY
Astermeds.com