Tuesday, December 2, 2008

The 3 Best Butt Exercises You Can Do At Home

Nearly every client I work with wants to know if I can reshape their back side. They either want to pick it up, fill it out, slim it down, or make it rock solid. Fortunately for them, I consider this my specialty. Fortunately for you, I am going to share a few secrets. If you are already doing squats and lunges, then congratulations, you're off to a good start. Compound moves like these not only create size and shape for your butt, they also burn a ton of calories. The problem is, these exercises also develop the quads. That's no problem if that's your goal, but what if it's not?

Before we get into my favorite butt exercises, lets start with some important information.

1. Even the best exercises in the world can't overcome a bad diet. If you have cellulite and/or excess body fat, I am willing to bet that you're eating too many refined carbohydrates. I can't emphasize enough, if you want to have a lean, sexy body (and a great butt!), then stop with the junk!! No fast food, no chips, no cookies, no white flour or sugar! Whew! Glad we got that out of the way...

2. You need to burn the fat. So, I want you to do 3 full body workouts each week to add some muscle and rev up your metabolism.

3. To burn more fat you will also do 3 cardio sessions each week. I outline specifically what to do in my transformation system, Red Carpet Ready, but for now, any cardio will do. Even better if it's intervals.

4. Do special butt shaping exercises.

My 3 current favorites are:

Valband Forward backward marching

Place Valband above your knees. Your feet should be hip width apart and band should be taught. Sit back into a squat and march forward but slightly out to the side, maintaining squat position and resisting the band from pulling your knees together. In the same position march backward to your starting position.


Valslide reverse lunge with kettlebells or dumbbells

Stand with feet together, place the ball of your right foot on the Valslide®. Slide your right foot back; Left leg will bend at 90˚. Slide your right foot up to start position, pulling up with the glute (butt) of your left leg. Finish reps and switch sides. NOTE: be sure to use the stationary leg to return to start, not the sliding leg. Think of the sliding leg as just going along for the ride.
**You will feel this in your glutes and quads

Single leg - 2 arm RDL's

Hold a bodybar or barbell and lift one foot off the ground slightly. Pinch the shoulder blades back together as this helps keep the spine in the proper position. Begin by pushing your hips backward while keeping the non-working leg extended and in alignment with your torso. Continue to push the hips backwards with the working leg and keep a neutral/flat back throughout the movement. Stand back up by squeezing the glutes, pushing the hips forward and standing up straight.



4 comments:

Unknown said...

Great exercises, Valerie. You might want to correct one word: in the description of the first exercise, you wrote "band should be taught". This should be changed to "band should be taut". Michèle

Unknown said...

Hi Valerie! First of all, I LOVE Red Carpet Ready. For a few years I was sold on the "heavy lifting" for women, and honestly, I felt like it over-developed certain muscles of mine. I think the fact that I used to be am ex-gymnast kind of came in to play.

I have a question about the nutrition portion of red carpet ready though. Do you have any clients that can get completely sick of meat? I like chicken & turkey, sometimes. Sometimes I am completely turned off by looking at it! I do eat eggs and love them. Not a huge fan of milk, but love cottage cheese. (I have a great whey protein too)

So I can eat a variety of proteins, but would eating a small portion of beans in the evening instead of having chicken hinder my weight loss?

I know the reason behind protein at every meal has to do with the way protein is metabolized, and the "thermic effect" can come into play as well.

Also, I don't have a large amount of weight to lose, which affects all of this. I am 5'2 and 128lbs(think solid, but lacking the red carpet ready definition!). I would like to get to 118lbs. So this is in the "last 10 lbs" category. Which sucks.

:) Thanks so much and I'm sorry I wrote a book! I'm a big fan and think you are the best trainer in Hollywood!!! Your programs are solid and not extreme like some I have seen.

Laura
lauraswim[at]gmail

Exercises said...

unique exercises and tips.--thanks.

Unknown said...

Reverse lunges are my favorite and split squats. great moves!