Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Parties & Turkeys & Pies, Oh My!

With the holidays around the corner, the opportunity for diet disasters are everywhere. Holiday parties, Christmas cookies, stuffing and pie, it seems temptation is everywhere. Couple that with the stress that many experience from shopping, traveling, or too many commitments, and it is no wonder that people gain weight between now and Super Bowl Sunday. Rumor has it that Americans gain a whopping 7 to 10 pounds during the holiday season, but it doesn't have to happen!!

Not only is it possible to make it through the holidays without gaining weight, but you can actually experience weight loss. More willpower is not the answer, what you need is more effective strategies. Here are a few of my faves:
  • Focus on what you can eat, not what you can't.

I will show up at my Dad's for Thanksgiving, looking forward to some turkey, green beans, and a bit of sweet potatoes. I know he will make me try his new brussels sprouts recipe (yuck!) and I will have a small piece of pumpkin pie. I will not feel sad about missing out on the mashed potatoes, stuffing, and pecan pie. I would rather be able to still fit in my "skinny jeans" the next day.

  • Reduce stress

Stress makes you fat! The best way to reduce stress is to exercise. You need to take that energy and blow it out. Whether you go for a run or to the gym, it doesn't matter, just get moving!

  • Have a Plan B

Do your best to stick to your regular workouts, but have a backup plan. If you can't make it to the gym, have a few things you can use at home (Valslides perhaps?). If you don't have an hour, do an intense 2o-30 minute circuit training or interval workout.

  • Get Support

If you know that you struggle during the holidays, then get support! Find a fitness buddy that will hold you accountable and visa versa, or join an on-line community like the Red Carpet Ready Club. Here you will find inspiring stories, great workouts, and most important, encouraging words.

Also, be sure to check out Red Carpet Ready TV, my live internet reality weight loss program. I am doing to help transform the bodies (and lives) of Cody and Mary Bess using the workouts and strategies that I use with my Hollywood clients. You can follow along (or join in) as I coach them through the next 6 weeks.

You too can make the commitment and be Red Carpet Ready by January!


Red Carpet Ready beings airing LIVE today, November 12th, at 5pm PST (8pm EST) at http://www.redcarpetready.tv/

When you tune in make sure to say hi (there will be a live chat as well). Hope to see you there!!

No comments: