Thursday, July 3, 2008

Travel Tips

Staying Fit on the Road

One of the busiest travel weekends is fast approaching. Whether you plan to be in a bikini or to simply be active (mountain biking, hiking or kayaking), I hope you have been following Red Carpet Ready or another plan so you feel confident and excited. Once you get there, you don’t need to let the vacation de-rail your fitness. Of course, you have earned a little break from your strict diet and your hard core gym routine but this doesn’t mean you eat anything you want and simply veg at the pool for a week. Fit people know (and I hope this includes you) that it is much more fun to be active and eat healthy while on vacation. I just got back from Kauai where I had the best time experiencing my friend’s Luxury Fitness Vacations (http://www.purekauai.com/). I stayed in a beautiful condo overlooking Hanalei Bay (I chose a condo for the kitchen), I surfed 2 hours everyday, ate healthy local fare and did my 20 minute Valkit for Travel workouts every other day to stay on my program. I came home completely refreshed, recharged and a couple pounds lighter. While your vacation may look different, here are some tips to stay fit on the road:


Travel Tips

Lodging

If possible, choose to stay in a house or condo so you have access to a kitchen. You don’t have to cook all your meals there (obviously you want to get out to some local restaurants) but it is nice to have the option. If you must stay in a hotel (or prefer to) have them clean out the mini bar before you get there. You don’t need the $7 M&M’s calling your name at 11 pm. Once you get settled find a local market and stock up on some easy snacks. I always get a few bottles of water, a bag of almonds, some California Raisins, a couple of low sugar protein bars and a couple of bananas. This way I have a few things to tide me over if my next meal is more than 4 hours off.

Find a Running Route

If you’re a runner, but don’t want to get lost in unfamiliar territory then check out http://www.runtheplanet.com/ People post information about the best running routes all over the country. Get your run in without getting lost!

Learn a new sport.

Anywhere you go on vacation, there is something active you can do. Don’t sit on the side lines just because you don’t know how. Sign up for a couple of lessons with an instructor and have the chance to feel like a kid again. Depending on where you are, you could learn to surf or boogie board, kayak, rollerblade, cycle, horseback ride, mountain bike or play volleyball. The options are endless.


Take your gym with you.

I like to get at least a few gym sessions even if I’m being active. While I always stay near a gym, I still bring my Valkit for Travel so I can be sure I have everything I need. Actress Kim Raver of Lipstick Jungle says of hers, “You can bring it to the gym or workout with it in your living room. I travel all over the world with mine, so I have no excuse NOT to workout.” If Kim can do it, so can you. Don’t leave home without yours!


If you can't see this video click the following link or copy and past this link into your address bar:http://youtube.com/watch?v=fsvxO46Q4eY

Newsworthy

The Valkit for Travel goes on Vacation

Last summer the Valkit for Travel went to France and Italy. This year, it went to Kauai, Prague, Australia, Greece and Germany! Where did you take your Valslides? Send us a picture and tell us where you took yours. We’d love to share your story!

My upcoming teleseminar

Check out my latest project here. I'll be one of the speakers participating in the Mid Year Resolutions tele-seminar. I think you'll get some great info. They'll cover everything from nutrition, making more money, getting fit, building healthy relationships, and more! I'm super excited and I think you'll find the information worth while. The best part is that it's free! The speaker schedule isn't out yet, but check back here as I've been told it will be posted soon!








2 comments:

robert said...

Really interesting!! I enjoyed your post on traveling. Like some of your useful travel tips too.

LobotoME said...

Thanks for those tips!

We travel a lot for work so anything to help ME keep fit on the road is great!

Jenny :)